- To determine the aetiology of GUD in patients presenting with genital ulceration
- To determine risk factors for specific causes of GUD
- To determine the prevalence of azithromycin resistance amongst cases of syphilis
- To undertake whole genome sequencing on organisms identified in cases of GUD and describe the genomic diversity present in target countries.
- To determine the prevalence of other sexually transmitted infections in individuals with GUD
- To describe the knowledge, attitudes and practice regarding self-collection and self -testing for STIs and of partner notification among persons with genital ulcer disease and genital discharge attending outpatient STI clinics.
- Generate a biobank to allow future validation of new near-patient and/or point of care diagnostic tests for genital ulcer disease
Study Design: Cross-sectional
Study population and size:
- 200 adults (aged 18 years or older) presenting with genital ulcer disease
Study duration: 1 year
Sponsor: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Principal Investigator: Chelsea Morroni (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Study is on-going and no data analyses have been done yet